Mullin Opposes Pelosi’s Socialist Wish List
Washington, May 15, 2020
Congressman Markwayne Mullin (OK-02) released the following statement after voting against H.R. 6800, the HEROES Act.
“This is nothing but a socialist wish list full of provisions that have nothing to do with fighting the COVID-19 pandemic,” Mullin said. “Instead of trying to help Americans get back on their feet, Speaker Pelosi’s bill forces us to become dependent on the federal government. That’s not what built our country and that’s not what will get us out of this crisis. We should be focused on bringing relief to the American families who need it instead of passing partisan legislation that has zero chance at becoming law.”
“Highlights” of the bill include:
· Illegal aliens would get stimulus payments and work authorization. They also would not be able to be deported during this time.
· Incentivizes people not to go back to work by extending the additional $600 per week in unemployment insurance through spring of 2021. This means businesses who reopen have to compete with unemployment for their workers.
· Provides funding for sanctuary cities.
· Imposes Davis-Bacon wage rate regulations on direct federal contractors or anyone that is employed with assistance of funds.
· Lacks bipartisan pro-life provisions to ensure no federal funds are used to provide abortions.
· Prohibits President Trump and Vice President Pence from signing stimulus checks.Makes it more difficult for states to combat voter fraud by eliminating ID requirements for in-person voting.
Washington, DC Office
2421 Rayburn House Office Building Washington, DC 20515 Phone: (202) 225-2701 Fax: (202) 225-3038 Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00am-6:00pm ET
McAlester District Office
1 E. Choctaw, Suite 175 McAlester, OK 74501 Phone: (918) 423-5951 Fax: (918) 423-1940 Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm CT
Muskogee District Office
811-A N. York St., Muskogee, OK 74403 Phone: (918) 687-2533 Fax: (918) 686-0128 Hours: By appointment only.
Claremore District Office
223 W. Patti Page Blvd., Claremore, OK 74017 Phone: (918) 283-6262 Fax: (918) 923-6451 Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm CT