Congressman Markwayne Mullin (OK-02) released the following statement after the House passed the H.R. 925, the Heroes Act 2.0. Mullin was not present for the vote due to supporting his son’s ongoing rehabilitation from a wrestling injury but would have voted “no” on the bill.
“Once again, Speaker Pelosi has put a bill on the floor that is nothing but a socialist wish list full of provisions that don’t have anything to do with fighting the COVID-19 pandemic,” Mullin said. “We have already spent trillions of dollars in relief funding which has yet to be fully used. Spending another $2.2 trillion, without fully utilizing what has already been appropriated, is reckless. We should be focused on bringing relief to families who need it instead of using this crisis to push a political agenda.”
H.R. 925 is a recycled version of Pelosi’s bill which passed the House in May. It includes:
· Defunding the police by removing $600 million from the original Heroes Act intended for the COPS Hiring program and state, local, and Tribal law enforcement assistance.
· Extending the $600 per week UI supplement through Jan. 31, 2021, plus a transition period to allow the supplement to continue through March 31, 2021 for those who have not exhausted their benefits, meaning businesses will be competing with unemployment benefits for workers through spring of 2021.
· Allowing illegal immigrants to receive direct stimulus payments.
· Removing safeguards in the Paycheck Protection Program that would prevent taxpayer money from bailing out Planned Parenthood.
· Providing “deferred action” and work authorization during the emergency declaration and for 90 days after for illegal aliens working in jobs that could be held by out of work Americans.
· Federalizing elections, with only five weeks until election day, by including strict, impossible to achieve mandates on how states must run their elections, including early voting, no ID requirement for in-person voting, same-day registration, and no excuse vote by mail without safeguards or restrictions on ballot harvesting.
· Expanding Obamacare through a new Special Enrollment period, which has already been rejected by the White House.
· Prohibiting funds from supporting educational freedom for families.
Using hundreds of billions of dollars of taxpayer money to bailout state and local governments for decades of fiscal mismanagement instead of assisting with COVID-19 recovery.